GET PAID

Tuesday 12 May 2009

Arsenal new boy Arshavin 'baffled' by left-wing role


Arsenal's bad week appears to have got worse, with new Emirates Stadium idol Andrey Arshavin claiming he is 'baffled' by Arsene Wenger's insistence on playing him on the left wing.

The Russian playmaker has proved a huge hit in north London, scoring six goals in ten Premier League starts and quickly establishing himself as a favourite with supporters.

However, Gunners boss Wenger has often deployed the 27-year-old on the left of midfield, a decision Arshavin - used to playing as a second striker for Zenit St Petersburg and Russia - admits he struggles to understand.
'My personal plan for my initial three months with Arsenal wasn't about scoring a certain number of goals or making a set number of assists,' he told a Russian newspaper.

'I wanted to get the feeling whether I can play in England or not. Sometimes I feel that I can but other times that I don't. It's probably because that I play as a left midfielder.

'I still can't get used to the idea that I'm capable of playing on the left of midfield - and frankly having to do it keeps me baffled.

'I don't understand if it's only because God is taking care of me, or I really can play so well as a left-winger.'

Arshavin indicated he wouldn't mind being replaced in his position by another Russian - CSKA Moscow international Yuri Zhyrkov, who is strong playing all along left side of the pitch and has been linked with Chelsea.

'Yes, I know Yuri well,' added Arshavin. 'But the problem is, would he like to move to Arsenal?'

Arshavin missed the Gunners game against Chelsea on Sunday for having a flu but he expects to be fully recovered by Saturday when his team faces Manchester United at Old Trafford.

No comments:

Post a Comment

specail report