GET PAID

Friday 24 April 2009

Keane is back - and already slamming former United stars turned managers


New Ipswich boss Roy Keane walked into Portman Road insisting all that had gone before was history - and neither he nor any of his former Manchester United team-mates had yet achieved anything in management.

The former Republic of Ireland midfielder, 37, has signed a two-year contract with the Coca-Cola Championship side, who earlier this week sacked Jim Magilton.

Keane has been out of work since departing as Sunderland manager last December but insisted the challenge and timing was right for his return to the game.

However, when quizzed on what it was that made him and the likes of Bryan Robson, who had stints at Middlesbrough, West Brom and Sheffield United; Mark Hughes, the Manchester City manager; Steve Bruce - in charge at Wigan; and Paul Ince, sacked after a spell with Blackburn earlier this season, all successful in the dugout, Keane wasted no time in putting the record straight.

'Who are the good managers you are talking about?' asked the Irishman.

'Sparky [Hughes] and Brucey have not won a trophy have they?

'They have potential.

'Steve Bruce has had a good season but Steve Bruce has been manager how many years?

'Sparky has done a brilliant job at Blackburn but is facing different challenges at Man City.

'We are all facing different challenges.

'Until an ex-team-mate of mine from 1994 goes on and really achieves something, then I would not agree with what you are saying about being a successful manager.

'You need a bit more than some of those managers have achieved yet.'

Keane added: 'With me, it is a desire to win, a fear of losing, wanting to achieve something in my life.

'I had five months out of the game and, while I really enjoyed it, I had this gut feeling that it was time to try something.

'I believe I can potentially be a good football manager.

'I have done nothing in the game yet; I did okay at Sunderland, but I want to do better than okay.'

Keane took Sunderland into the Premier League in what was his first season as a manager in 2006-07, and intends to do the same with the Tractor Boys

However, he warned: 'There are lots of clubs in the Championship who feel they belong in the Premier League - Nottingham Forest, Leeds, Sheffield United; look at Charlton now.

'Ipswich are a club with a good heritage who did well in the 70s and 80s.

'As much as it is a massive part of the club, it is about now and what I achieve.

'I am looking forward to it.'

No comments:

Post a Comment

specail report